Sunday 15 January 2012

Cozy Against the Cold. . .

It's turned bitterly cold this weekend and I was determined to hibernate at home and just knit, read and cook comfort food.  Until I realized I'd run out of butter (an essential ingredient for ALL comfort food) and had to venture out to the store.  Since I'd bundled up anyways, I took the opportunity to take a photo in the natural light of my new, cozy cowl that I finished Saturday morning.


This was made from two skeins of Rowan Colourscape Chunky, designed by Kaffe Fassett and I just LOVE the colours which remind me of all the shades of pink and purple that one finds in winter sunsets. The repeats are quite long, so I tried all sorts of different stitch patterns and scarf ideas before settling on a big cowl that is stretchy enough to wrap around my neck twice.  It just makes me very happy to look at the colours, although I realize now that I need a matching hat for the-head-that-seems-to-defy-all-pattern-sizes.  Stay tuned.



I'm very pleased with my knitting progress so far this year.  My first sweater is coming along. I've knitted the front and back and blocked them, and have started the first sleeve.  I'm a bit worried it's too small for me, in which case it'll be a gift for my Mum, but we'll see.  I also finished a pair of Fetching mitts from the Knitty pattern located here, which is a gift for my friend K's birthday.


And as for that comfort food:  It was Mac n' Cheese in the slow cooker.  Yes, the slow cooker.  You may not get all the breadcrumb crunchy bits from the traditional oven method, but this is the creamiest mac n' cheese I've ever tasted.  And there was plenty to freeze away for future lunches.  The recipe is from the Canadian Living: Slow Cooker Collection by Elizabeth Baird.


And I found a great new podcast to listen to while getting on with my projects.  A Playful Day is by a woman who lives in London, England, and is a relatively new but good and enthusiastic knitter, who also loves great food and likes to talk about both.  I listened to a number of her back episodes and really enjoyed them.

I'll top off this weekend with dinner at my Mum's and then we'll watch the next episode of Downton Abbey.  How many more weekends till spring?

No comments: