Wednesday 17 April 2013

More WIPS On the Go. . .

I've been nursing a cold so am indulging in lots of knitting and telly watching.

I found a worthy recipient for my Selbu Modern hat that ended up being far too small for me.  She's a seven year-old (which shows just how far off I was on the sizing), who is learning to knit and not only does she look adorable in it, but she loves it.  She said it was like wearing a painting, which just made my day.


Having said goodbye,  I really needed to knit another one for myself so have upped the needle sizes and begun again.  The colour doesn't really come through on this photo but it's a gorgeous, deep purple. I'm using 4ply wool from Blacker Yarns.



Then, thanks to a mention on the Electric Sheep podcast (episode 107), I've discovered Stephen West's simple but so effective Garter Swish blanket.  What a great stash buster!  You essentially use two strands of different worsted weight yarn, one of which is in a pale, neutral colour, and you just knit rows of garter, changing the colours as your yarn finishes.  I have a lot of chunky and fingering yarn in my stash so I'm using those and honestly, I just can't stop.  It's knitting up so quickly and the colour changes keep it interesting. I think it'll be a great blanket for the couch because let's face it, it'll be a decade before I ever complete my hexipuff blanket.



Finally,  I was browsing through some new yarns and came across this one from Rico called Fashion Summer Print.  It's 100% cotton chunky and I love all the muted summer colours running through it.  It was crying out to be turned into a summer scarf.




I'm using a very simple lattice stitch pattern from a magazine and it's knitting up quite quickly.  I'll probably end up using four 50g balls.  The effect reminds me of well-worn, sun-faded, rag rugs and the colours are neutral enough to go with almost everything. I'm hoping that after blocking, it will be as soft as a well-worn t-shirt.



No comments: